Organized in 1853 by the Reverend J.W. Earley, the African Methodist Episcopal Church in the U.S.A. and located at 153 E. Tompkins. The church was named after Richard Allen, the first African American Bishop in the AME Denomination. The congregation paid $400 for its first property. The church has been rebuilt twice due to fire and remains an active church congregation today.