Here are summaries of the names of the places right under our noses, culled from Callary's book:
- ABINGDON: Founded in 1836 by Abraham D. Swartz and named for his former home of Abingdon in Hartford County, Md., which was named for Abingdon, Oxfordshire, England. The post office was established in 1837 as Oregon, changed to Hartford in 1839 and then changed to Abingdon in 1852.
- ALTONA: Founded in 1834 as La Pier, but the post office was established in 1844 as Walnut Grove and changed to Reno in 1868. The station on the Central Military Tract Railroad was
- Altona, though, and just 11 days after being established as Reno, it was changed to Altona.
- DAHINDA: Laid out in 1888 on the site of a former Native American village,
- Dahinda takes its name from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "The Song of Hiawatha," in which Dahinda is the Ojibwa name of the bullfrog.
- GILSON: Named after one of its founders – James Gilson. The post office was established in 1857.
- KNOXVILLE: Known as Henderson until 1832, when it was renamed for its location in Knox County. It was the county seat until 1873. The post office was established in 1830 as Knox
- Courthouse; the name was changed to Knoxville in 1844.
- MAQUON: The village was laid out in 1837 and originally was called Bennington, perhaps after Bennington, Vt. The name was changed to Maquon in 1858, probably from a general Algonquin word recorded as A-maquon- sippi, which was translated into English as Spoon River.
- ONEIDA: Founded in 1854 by Charles Camp, Oneida likely takes its name from Oneida County, N.Y. The tribal meaning of the name is “people of the standing stone.” The post office was established as Oneida in 1855.
- RIO: The post office was established in 1848 as North Prairie and settlers also toyed with calling the town Coeburg after postmaster Nelson Coe before deciding on Rio, a reference to the Rio Grande, and changing the post office to that name in 1871.
- VICTORIA: Probably named after Queen Victoria of Great Britain, whose coronation was in 1837, the same year the post office was established in Victoria.
- WATAGA: This village was known as Urn when the post office first was established in 1853, but was changed to Wataga in 1855, likely a transfer from Watauga in North Carolina, Tennessee or Kentucky. Watauga comes from the Cherokee.
- WILLIAMSFIELD: The post office was established in 1888 and the town is believed to have been named after a contractor for the Santa Fe Railroad.
- YATES CITY: Likely named after the home of its founders in Yates County, N.Y.
Note: East Galesburg was not included in the book.
Story provided by The Register-Mail